More and more people today are discovering that natural medicines offer a genuine way of treating disease. One of the most respected and popular of these is homoeopathy, a complete system of medicine, which is entirely natural. It is complete because this method of treatment can be applied to any condition or disease and natural because it works by giving the body a precise stimulus, which enables it to heal itself.
Backache can strike anyone at anytime and is as common as a cold or headache. The symptoms of backache differ from one person to another. Among the common symptoms are pain, together with stiffness, which may develop either suddenly or slowly. The pain may be a continuous ache or it may occur only in a certain position. Coughing and sneezing, as well as bending and twisting, may make the pain worse. Mechanically caused back pain is usually made worse by these activities.
It's Not A Backache, It's YOUR Backache
Every case is treated individually, however there are a number of more common remedies that homeopaths use to treat backaches. These include:
- Arnica (Leopard's Bane) - Aching over all the limbs as if bruised and broken. Pain is worse on touching or moving. Everything the patient lies on seems too hard. Homeopaths treat backaches according to the symptoms that the patient may present and depends on the cause of the problem. There are some general precautions which those prone to backaches should follow. While lifting heavy objects, keep your back straight; bend your knees and let the legs do the work; avoid high heels; if you want to sleep, do not sleep in a chair, but lie down; if you have to sit for a long time - when driving for instance - use a cushion to support the small of your back; sleep on a fairly firm bed, or put a board under your mattress.
- Bryonia (Wild Hops) - When there is stitching and stiffness in the small of the back. Intense aggravation from any movement, wants pressure or something hard under the back. Every spot is painful to pressure.
- Hypericum (St Johns Wort) - Joints feel bruised. Coccyx injury from fall, with pain radiating up spine and down limbs.
- Rhus Tox (Poison Ivy) - Severe stiffness of the neck, shoulder blades, hands and fingers, with tearing pains in the lower back, increased on resting. There is restlessness and the pain is worse on starting to move and better on continued gentle movement. Pain is worse in a damp climate.
- Ruta (Rue-bitterwort) - All parts of the body are painful, as if bruised. Backache is better with pressure and lying on the back.
- Sepia (Inky juice of Cuttlefish) - Low backache, which is better from pressure and from active exercise.
If symptoms persist, seek advice from a qualified homeopath.
As an HMA registered homeopath I have knowledge of a large number of remedies. The first step is to take an in depth look at your lifestyle, diet, past illnesses, family history etc. before planning an individual a regimen of homeopathy to suit you personally. My very strong belief is that results come when you treat the whole person, not just the symptoms of your complaint.
Homeopathic preparation can be taken in conjunction with other prescribed medicines. Do not stop applying any medication without consulting your doctor and homeopath first.